Update #12 – It’s Halloween! Pumpkin party on ‘Retaliation’, new SCAR variant and spooky weapon skins!
It’s that time of the year!
To bring a little spookiness to Zero Caliber, we’ve carved a huge amount of pumpkins and placed them all over the night mission ‘Retaliation’ (you can find a few of them in the Lobby as well).
These Halloween pumpkins come with a little surprise: they blow up when shot (with a surprise sound effect). Use them to fight off the evil Tlalokiis!
If you just want to throw around pumpkins for the fun of it, look for them at the basketball court in ‘Lockup’ or at the beginning of ‘Retaliation’.
BUT WAIT, THERE’S MORE!
A new SCAR variant can be found in the ‘Armory’ with a fancy Halloween themed skin!
Besides the new SCAR (which will be unlockable in the next update), we’ve made a spooky skin for a community favourite weapon: the M4!
We hope you’ll enjoy this little Halloween event we’ve made!
Have a spooky Halloween!
XREAL Games Team
Update #11 – VIVE Cosmos support, weapon recoils, faster progression, new rank icons & tons of bug fixes!
Since the last update, we’ve mostly been busy with fixing bugs and improving game mechanics.
The most noticeable addition is the new, overhauled recoil system, which will make aiming just a tiny bit more difficult…
We’ve also overhauled the rank icons, they’ll now visually represent the hard work that goes into getting them. 🙂
Concerning the progression speed – we’ve heard your feedback about the grind, so we’ve chopped it in half: you’ll get double the amount of XP and money per mission (compared to the amount of XP and money pre-update). We’ve also added VIVE Cosmos support!
Old recoil on the left-, new recoil on the right side:
You can check the full list below:
WEAPONS | ATTACHMENTS
- New recoils – We’ve reworked how the weapons behave, it’s much more realistic now (subject to change based on feedback)
- New double magazines for the Uzi, P90 and the M1918 BAR
- New weapon skins for P90, M4A1, Python
- Shotgun clips are saved in the belt when moving between missions
- Sliders and stocks are released by the hand if you move the controller too far away
- Weapons spawned in the player’s belt have ammo chambered (they were spawned empty beforehand)
- Fixed a rare issue where knocking off scope attachments could cause iron sights to be incorrectly visible
- Fixed muzzle flash location when applying suppressors
- Fixed muzzle flash appearance when applying suppressors
- Improved Python handling and fixed barrel opening
- Fixed Ka5C slider – plate is now moving when shooting
- Improved Steyr Aug and KRISS Vector handling
- Steyr Aug rail fixed when applying attachments
- Improved turret handling
GAMEPLAY | CO-OP IMPROVEMENTS
- Renamed ranks with new, visually pleasing icons
- XP is now capped at lvl100 – won’t be accumulated after reaching the maximum amount
- Microphone ‘always on’ option – when enabled in the settings, the mic will always be activated, no need to manually turn the voice chat on
- Added a confirmation window on death screen before returning to lobby – no more accindentally leaving a Co-op session
- Fixed a rare issue where the host’s hand could get stuck in the air when secondary grabbing a weapon
- Improved player hand sync between host and client
- Iron sights in Co-op fixed
- Smart attachment Interaction
Clicking the trigger button on the secondary hand attached to weapon activates the side attachment (flashlight, laser)
- Pressing the slider release button on the controller releases the slider if possible – interacts with scope attachments otherwise
- Improved reloading mechanics
- Visible hints added for each weapon when there is no bullet chambered (can be turned on/off in the settings)
- When using autogrip: in order to be able to use autogrip, the weapon HAS TO BE reloaded (on certain weapons only)
- Added the ability to sprint with sniper rifles and the BAR
- Toggle-grip is default now on HTC Vive while hold-to-grip on Oculus (can be changed in the settings)
- Fixed a rare issue when modifying settings respawned the player
- Hand pointer after grenade explosion fixed
- Player pointer fixes (in the armory, world map and at death screen)
- 3D model- and environment optimizations for better performance
- Fixed decals on several dynamic objects
- Several texture fixes
- New reverb system
- Improved soundscapes
- Dynamic movement sounds
- Updated Audio Engine
- New footstep sounds
- Combat chatter added
Update #10 – Index Controller and WMR joystick support, Touch toggle-grip, massive performance boost
We’ve been quite busy after July’s content update. It unfortunately introduced a few bugs that needed to be fixed as soon as possible.
The first hotfix went live two weeks ago, and now with this hotfix we’re hoping that we managed to fix all the major bugs of the update.
But, you know us.. it wouldn’t be us if we didn’t cram even more stuff into one update. 🙂
As a result, Zero Caliber now has full Index Controller support (except for finger tracking) and native WMR joystick support. Oculus Touch controllers got the awaited toggle-grip option and as a bonus, performance got increased by at least 20%*!
*mostly noticeable in combat situations
FULL PATCH NOTES
- Valve Index Controller support. Attention! The ‘bolt catch’ and ‘magazine release’ buttons are hand-dependant. Right controller buttons work on weapons held in the right hand, left controller buttons work on weapons held in the left hand.
- Native WMR joystick support
- Oculus Touch toggle-grip option – no need to hold the grip continuously; can be changed in the control settings
- Fixed crashes caused by recent changes
- Massive performance optimization, especially in combat situations – temporarily disabled projectile particle effects in order to better optimize it
- Magazines don’t fall through the floor after dropping a weapon
- ‘Second Wind’ invulnerability when low on health is back
- Fixed an issue in Co-op where the client player couldn’t move after teleporting back from out of the combat area
- Ally NPC name tags and icons now follow them correctly
- Fixed an issue where the players could grab on invisible attachments. This caused the players’ arms to stretch far away
- Items cannot disappear anymore while being force-pulled
- Client players in Co-op now respawn on checkpoints with the equipment used right before dying
Update #9 – New map, new weapon, weapon skins, loadout storing system, sharper graphics & countless more goodies!
We have two, very very busy months behind us. As a result, we can proudly present Zero Caliber’s biggest, most packed content update since its EA release last year!
We’ve brought you a new map – Lockup, a new weapon – Glock 18, the much-awaited loadout storing system, unlockable weapon skins, sharper graphics and a lot, lot more!
Really, when i say a lot more, i mean A LOT more.
This update is a HUGE one, please read through all the patchnotes below to see the full picture.
It’s impossible to summarize all the new content and improvements in a few words.
- New mission: Lockup. The Tlalokii have overtaken a maximum security prison. You’re tasked with the covert mission of recovering sensitive prisoner lists. NOTE: You can find a basketball court mid-mission with functioning basketballs. Because even soldiers have to relax mid-combat.
WEAPON SKINS | REWORKED LOBBY
- Extended Armory: with the amount of weapons and skins we have, it was time to extend our armory with new weapon racks, and a shooting range (which is still WiP)
- The new weapon racks contain all the available weapons, their skins, all the attachments and their skins and all types of magazines. And their skins. Yes. All of them. NOTE: You can choose which weapon skin you prefer and all the corresponding items will use that skin.
- Unlocking weapon skins: each skin has a rank requirement you have to reach. There are also hidden mystery skins throughout all maps (if treasure hunting is your thing – yarr!); they can only be unlocked by finding them.
NEW LOADOUT STORING SYSTEM
- Store your favourite loadouts! You now have access to 3 life-size mannequins to store your favourite loadouts on. You can manually suit up your doppelgängers with your favourite setups, OR you can just press the appropriate buttons (either to store or to equip) to make the process faster. Store your gear, and they’ll be waiting for you next time you launch the game.
- New weapon: the Glock 18, a legendary fully-automatic pistol. Did i mention it also has a drum mag? Brrrrt.
- Tactical shield level-up: when using a pistol and shield combo, you can reload one-handed for that extra badass feeling!
- Burst fire mode added for the following weapons: G36 (double shot), Glock 18 (triple shot) and the KRISS Vector (double shot)
- Most weapons have multiple new types of magazines: extended, double, drum, etc.
- All magazines have skinned versions and you can combine them with different weapon skins
- Grenades now have indicator trails when thrown, with lights and sound effect
- Shotgun clips can be used for easier reload: load 5 shells in at a time, then keep taking clips out of your ammo pouch instead of individual shells. NOTE: Why have shotguns without proper reload mechanics? Good question! Pumpable shotguns are finally coming in the next update!
- The last 15 weapons you’ve grabbed won’t disappear within a ~32m radius
- Revolver ejects bullets/casings correctly
- Turret release by distance fixed
- Stocks dynamically open or close depending on which state is closer (instead of always opening unless completely closed)
- G36 stock now works as intended
- Attention! The way of removing attachments has changed! Press and hold the trigger, then pull the attachment away (no need to use button combinations anymore).
A short trigger press (no holding!) without pulling your hand away will change the modes on the attachment if applicable. WITH UNDER BARREL GRIPS: Little bit different, you have to secondary grab the weapon (grip) – then press the trigger and pull the attachment away to remove it. NOTE: Knocking off an attachment with another one still works!
- Smart attachment interaction when pressing the corresponding button – action performed in this order: 1. Release slider IF backed 2. Activate side attachment IF there is one on the weapon AND the slider isn’t backed 3. Activate scope IF the slider isn’t backed AND there is no side attachment
- Attachment optimization resulting in much better performance
- Silencers can be removed from pistols
- Flash suppressor now works as intended
GAMEPLAY | AI
- Smarter AI behavior: the enemy will change states, run in and out of cover, run away or charge you depending on the situation around them NOTE: Friendly AI will get a rework soon!
- AI spawn optimization resulting in better performance
- Loading screen added
- Holster improvement: can’t remove other players’ holstered weapons. No more stealing. :’(
- Reviving other players isn’t instant anymore, it has a small (1 sec) cooldown.
- Force pull sync improved
- Improved weapon spawning to hand
PLAYER | CONTROL IMPROVEMENTS
- Trigger/grip interaction: we’ve separated what the trigger and grip buttons can do: Trigger: ammo and attachment interaction Grip: weapon grabbing
- Reloading while crouching: it is now easier to take out ammo from the belt while crouching (ammo pouch collider is around the player’s knees when crouching)
- Wrist and lower arm positioning and rotations are reworked NOTE: It is much better than before, but still WiP.
- UI laser beam improved: it is now independent from weapon length
- Completely reworked Comfort Mode setting for players prone to motion sickness – it is much more pleasant now. Also we now have three intensity settings under Settings>Game
- Comfort mode setup added to Lobby
- Player doesn’t glitch anymore when pressing full locomotion immediately after spawning
- Various force pull bug fixes
- Menu and pointer now supports main hand setting for left handed players NOTE: Index controllers are not supported officially. It’s coming in the next update!
- Sharpened image to reduce overall blurriness – MUCH more sharp graphics
- No more head- and armless body after player death
- POIs are now fading when the player looks towards them – less obstructing
- Menu UI scaled down
- Impact decals are now attached to dynamic objects
- In the menu, after pressing Exit to Desktop, Cancel button now works
- New map has an experimental GFX feature (on VR platform): lens flares (bless Michael Bay!)
- ‘Retaliation’ map got the ‘american-night’ filter: instead of pitch-black, it has a nice blue ambient atmosphere
- Overall post processing FX improvements
- Updated gun sounds
- Burst weapon tail sound fixed, sound echoes after every burst even if the player doesn’t let go of the trigger
We’ve added 2 new weapons, the M9 Beretta for pistol fans, and the BAR for light machine gun enthusiasts. Both of them have unique, skinned variants laying around on several maps.
The AI (both enemy- and friendly) got a new cover system, they’re now using covers efficiently, plus they can be more aggressive in close encounters.
Be aware, this might increase the game’s difficulty, you now have to play more carefully!
We’ve added a soundtrack to the game, player animations got improved, your Co-op buddies will now look much better. We’ve also fixed quite a few bugs.
You can check the detailed patchnotes below:
WEAPONS | ATTACHMENTS
- New weapons: M9 Beretta and M1918 BAR with unique skins
- G36 slider fix: slider can now be grabbed from both sides with any hand
- Attachment holo picture fix: previously holding any attachment in hand and releasing a magazine caused the holo picture to be replaced by the magazine picture
GAMEPLAY | AI IMPROVEMENTS
- AI cover system overhaul: enemies now use covers more efficiently
- AI behavior changed: in certain situations they move faster, and are more aggressive. Be careful in close encounters!
PLAYER | CONTROL IMPROVEMENTS
- Player crouch and prone animations: player movement in Co-op now looks much better (still WiP)
- Holstering long weapons fix: there is a delay on collision when taking weapons out of the holster. They won’t get stuck in the ground anymore!
- Added a Controller Dead Zone option in Settings – Controls. This is useful when your character is drifting without pressing anything on the controller due to worn out controller components and/or unintentional interaction
- Foot rotates onto surface its standing on
- Seamless server travel – next mission button now works in Co-op as well. You can play through the Chicago story missions with your Co-op partners without hosting every story map individually.
- Improved server creation interface
- Improved weapon belt transformations on client side
- Explosion forces sync correctly (grenades, barrels, airstrike)
- Checkpoint fixes: newly joining players teleport to the correct checkpoint
- Experience and money can only be gained after reaching the last checkpoint of a map
- New original soundtrack (can be turned off in the settings)
- Master and Music Volume settings
- Slider sounds when cocking manually
- New weapon sounds
- New, realistic flyby and ricochet sounds
- More balanced soundscape
- Running sound effects
- Removed invisible locomotion blocker on Timber 1
GFX | OPTIMIZATION
- Night vision scope improvements
- Overall performance gains throughout the game
Update #7 – New map, M2 Browning heavy machine gun, reworked player belt, overhauled AI animations, faster ranking & more!
The much awaited mid-April content update is live!
You can now experience what a stormy battlefield would feel like on our new map: No Man’s Land! Several .50 Cal heavy machine guns are waiting for you to use throughout all maps. We have reworked the player belt system based on your feedback, and the promised new AI animation and behaviour is also here.
We’re very excited, can’t wait to see your feedback!
Check out the full patchnotes below:
- New small mission: No Man’s Land. Fight the Tlalokii in the stormy Mongolia, near the Russian border.
- Reworked player belt: holstered weapons are now in a fixed position (as opposed to the previous random positions); you can slot and unslot weapons from a larger distance and weapons lerp to slots – super sleek.
- Better Oculus Touch interaction: Pressing (and holding) trigger only grabs ammo, pressing (and holding) grip grabs the holstered weapon (Vive Controllers has already been working by this logic). Same for sliders (trigger) and secondary grab (grip) interaction. Oculus Touch ‘B’ button function: – can turn laser attachments on/off (if a laser is the only attachment on the weapon) – can change the zoom value for scopes or the colour of the crosshair (if it is the only attachment on the weapon) – bolt catch release on various weapons
- When grabbing pistols, the secondary hand lerps to grabbing position.
- Improved animation when grabbing bolts, sliders etc. with a cool lerping effect.
- Fixed unintentional fire mode change when quickly removing attachments.
- Improved hand positions for all magazines
- Mounted .50 Cal heavy machine gun is now ready to use throughout most maps in fixed positions.
- Safety fire mode removed from weapons: the safety mode could be confusing at times, so we’ve decided to remove this function from all weapons.
- Fixed: pistol magazines can not be knocked out with other magazines anymore – can only be released with the release button.
- You can now change attachments on your weapon by knocking them off with another attachment. How badass is that?
- Similarly, you can now knock out mags with any other mag you find, doesn’t have to be the same type.
- New AI animations: enemy- and teammate AI got better animations, their movement is much more smooth and fluid. Their behaviour is also improved.
- Difficulty dependant AI accuracy: the AI is now more accurate in hard difficulty, less so in normal- and easy.
- More challenging enemies on normal and hard difficulties.
- Increased the amount of XP per level, so you can gain ranks faster.
- Start Next Level button now resets the next mission and starts it from the beginning in single player mode.
- Rain effect on the new map
- Tons of graphical optimizations
- Minor sfx update
Update #6 – Steyr AUG, Movement changes, Initial setup guide, FPS independent recoil and a lot lot more!
Since the last update, we’ve been working very hard on fixing core issues, and optimizing the game’s performance.
We haven’t forgotten about content either, another community favourite weapon got added: the Steyr AUG with new attachment and surprises!
You’ll see a new, initial setup guide to help you choose the settings of your liking.
It’s hard to summarize all the improvements, fixes and content, so please do read the patchnotes below.
- Player movement changes: – Increased top speed while running – Slower base speed, slower strafing, slower going backwards – Slower crouch and prone speed – Player can only run when not aiming (depending on weapon type) – Run can be automatically, or by-input activated (can be set in the options menu)
- Fixed disappearing weapon slot
- Initial Setup Menu added: it will pop up only at the first launch after this update: players are introduced to some of our most critical and useful settings
- Improved main hand-, and trigger pulling finger animation
- Player body stays on the ground after dying
- Force pull fixed after lever release
- Player weapon grab on death fixed
GFX | OPTIMIZATION
- Benchmark Feature under graphics settings: Auto-Set your game to 90 fps any time!
- Optimized weapon and attachment textures (smaller size, same quality)
- Lobby armory performance optimizations
- All scopes and crosshairs have sharper reticle now
- Significant Disk Size improvement of the Packaged Game (From 30 GB to 15 GB)
- ‘Retaliation’ lighting iteration: brightened up some dark spots of the map
- Fixed ‘Retaliation’ foliage lighting errors
- Steyr AUG bullpup assault rifle with new attachments. Check the unlock requirements in the new info panel!
- New info panel added to the armory, showing the rank requirements for unlocking each weapon and attachment
- Improved, frame rate independent recoil
- New skins hidden on different maps (The first community skins, courtesy of Koretskyy. Thank you mate!)
- Weapon and skin unlock fixes
- Projectile spawning is synced from client to server
- Improved hand poses: Better primary gripping of weapons, improved mag holding poses
- Lasersight improvements: lit when playing on high quality. A flare indicates its position when enemy holds his weapon directly at player
- Scopes zoom levels changed, now all scopes can be used in Close-to-Mid range combat scenarios. Default zoom has the widest FOV.
- WiP, experimental attachments hidden as easter eggs in different maps (Magnified Holo Sight, HAMR Hybrid Scope, Canted Iron Sights Rail, Drum Kit Mag for Kriss Vector)
- 2 new laser attachments with new colors
- Bipod: players are now able to use it as a vertical grip
- Improved lasersight positions because of the new laser attachments
- Laser sight visual is same for teammates and allies
- The first story map, ‘Timber’ is divided into 2 parts with reworked layout and gameplay. Previously this map was huge, which negatively affected performance.
- Co-op: respawn grab fixed on client side
- Co-op: weapon drop from hand upon player death improved
- Co-op: floating weapons on player leave fix
- AI: reworked targeting and aiming system for more balanced fights
- Updated semi gun sounds.
We’ve been hearing a lot from the community that Zero Caliber needs a CQB map, so we made one!
Our new small mission, ‘Retaliation’ brings you intense Close Quarters Battles, and what is even better is that it’s a night map!
- New level: Retaliation
- Reworked music for lobby
- Better VR experience: we removed the collision from most of the small objects, so your movement will be smoother – less likely to experience heavy motion sickness
- Attachments on AI weapons: the AI is now using weapons equipped with various attachments. Check out the fallen AI’s weapons and take any attachment you want!
- Minor fixes on various guns
XP, player rank and weapon-unlock system improvements – previously the player unlocked weapons at the end of levels, only once:
- Players now get *XP* points for completing levels
- Better accuracy, more kills and headshots, plus more co-op buddies mean more XP!
- XP points get *Ranks* for players
- With each rank, players unlock some weapons, special magazines or attachments
- Fortunately, previously unlocked and/or bought weapons, magazines or attachments are kept, not lost with this update
- What is more, previously skipped weapons get unlocked automatically if current player rank allows them
- Known issue: unique weapon skins are not handled yet, will be added in a future update
- Totally reworked enemy spawning (improved and more balanced)
- The enemy uses attachments on weapons too
- The friendly ai will use more weapons with better attachments
- Various bugfixes on every level
- Effect, texture model fixes
- Optimization on multiple levels
In this update, we’ve added the most requested weapon by the community: the KRISS Vector submachine gun and its attachments. Such a unique gun! It can be unlocked by replaying ‘Boot Camp’. We’ve also majorly decreased the blurriness some of you might’ve experienced. We’re constantly working on optimization, so expect even more improvements in the near future!Read more
See the detailed patchnotes below:
- KRISS Vector, Light+Heavy stock, two suppressors, a holosight and a vertical grip – replay ‘Boot Camp’ to unlock it
- GE36 slider stays back when emptied
- SMG 45 slap reload added
- Fixed folding stock scales
- Significant improvement on the impact effect – now different calibers make different damage to various surfaces
- Force pull effect added – a laser beam that makes it a lot easier to select the object you want to pull (can be enabled/disabled in the settings)
- Decreased blurriness and tons of optimizations and fixes
- Players get XP and money at the completion of each level. It is calculated differently than before and will be changed in the near future
- Improved (more accurate) colliders for various objects
- Timers are shown on the objective marker
- Improved AI cover finding
- Fixed playzone problems on ‘Tinder’ in Co-op mode
- Fixed minor playzone problem on ‘Hail’
- Moved Ka5c stock unlock to the same map as the weapon unlock
- Frostbite can’t be rushed through without fighting
- Fences don’t block bullets on Frostbite
In this update you’ll find a new sniper rifle: the SVD Dragunov with the PSO scope. Auto grip/ungrip got implemented, the previously implemented snap/smooth turn can now be disabled in the control settings and FPS drops while using scope is gone. Check the detailed patchnotes below for the gameplay, multiplayer improvements and graphical fixes!Read more
New weapon and attachments:
- SVD Dragunov Sniper Rifle – with the PSO Scope!
- RIS Adapter / PSO scope for AK47, AKM, AS Val
- Auto grip, auto ungrip by proximity is now available both on Oculus Rift and HTC Vive! Can be turned on/off in the settings menu.
- Option to turn off snap/smooth turn is now available in the settings menu!
How to snap/smooth turn?
Oculus: On dominant hand (right by default) move joystick left/right
Vive: On dominant hand (right by default) PRESS left or right quarter of the touchpad
Attention! Input controls changed for HTC Vive and Windows Mixed Reality headsets in the last update:
– Fire mode change (auto, semi, safety): primary hand controller menu button short press
– Attachment release: primary hand controller menu button press-and-hold
- Improved gun recoil on every gun (very rarely flies out of your hand, but if you wield an assault rifle one handed, it will be extremely inaccurate)
- Improved gun handling, controller positions
- Increased player health on higher difficulties, changed regeneration pattern
- Enemy aim adjustments
- New armory layout
- Changed default weapon unlocks
- ‘Forest’ map repeatable helicopter sequence bug fixed
- Countless gameplay fixes throughout all levels
- Fixed crash at Hail level completion
- Player weapon slot is now handled on client side
- Stryker firing synced to client side
- Wall explosion synced to client side
- Scope optimization: default scope has better performance, also you can set lower resolution, or lower quality scopes too in the Quality Settings – no more fps drops when using scopes!
- Player hit effect optimized (previously it caused huge performance drops on weaker PCs)
- Suburbs’ map significant performance and lighting improvements
- Minor weapon effect visual improvements
- More visible projectiles: enemies are shooting slightly more visible projectiles for more readable combat
- Fixed player’s right wrist’s delayed motion to the controller’s real location
- Multiplayer server list: people from different regions might not find each other’s servers
- Occasionally there is no sound on Oculus
- AI is constantly being improved
- Graphics optimization
- Crash on startup with Unreal Engine error: this might be caused by software conflict.
If you have ASUS sound driver installed: exit from the asus sound driver or end the process with SS2UILauncher.exe. Try to disable the asus sonic sound at startup.
Nahimic, MSI sound or similar audio apps might also cause a crash.